Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Money

The cold weather continues today -- last I checked, it was hovering around -3, and we're supposed to see another half foot of snow in the next couple days. It seemed like a good day to work on money skills.

We dumped the money out of his two banks and practiced sorting by the type of coin involved. We made piles of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.



Then we mixed vinegar and salt to clean the pennies. He loved watching the bubbles form around the coins as they were each dropped in.



After waiting and watching for a few minutes, we were both distracted by the remaining coins on the table, and tried to spin them until our fingers and wrists hurt!



In a creative attempt to get T to clean up (without realizing he was doing it), we pretended he owned a store and I had come to buy things from him. He'd make up prices, I'd show him how I'd count that amount out in coins, and he'd put the coins in his bank. Easy!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Your son is so cute, love that smile! He looks like a sweetie!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! I just saw that you've linked to my blog & I wanted to drop by and say hi! :)

I can't wait to read through your posts. I love finding other creative mama's with a Montessori edge ;)

Amber