Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rainbows

It's amazing all the projects you can do with rainbows.

You can make a permanent rainbow with water, clear nail polish, and black construction paper:





Then there's the ever-popular color-changing milk experiment:



Window hangings made with yarn and squares of paint chips:



And my absolute favorite, the rainbow cake. I found the idea here, but it seems my round cake pans are on the missing list, so I improvised. It won't be the same effect when cut into, but pretty all the same!

I took some shortcuts. I grabbed one box of white cake and followed the usual instructions (eggs, oil, water).


Separate into six bowls and color with gel food coloring.



I put mine in a regular 9x13 pan.


And baked, using the instructions on the box.


It's still cooling now, but we'll be frosting it tonight. We've got rainbow sprinkles to add the finishing touch!

8 comments:

Beth said...

That cake is awesome! My daughter turns 3 next week and I might need to persuade her into choosing a rainbow cake! How did you do the rainbow on the black paper?
Beth
applesandjammies.blogspot.com

Shady Lady said...

Rainbows are so much fun! Love the cake!!

themagiconions said...

We are going to try the milk rainbow tomorrow... thanks for the inspiration.

Homeschool Friend said...

Hi!

I posted about this on my blog!

Thanks for sharing!

Tami said...

What a really cool idea with the cake. I am starting an inhome preschool and I will definately keep this on my list of things to do when we work on colors!
~tami

kw said...

I love your blog. You are the queen of unit studies! Great rainbow activities! Big Snail is into rainbows right now so we are going to have to "steal" some of your great ideas!

Shannon said...

So cool! You should forward your rainbow-cake post to this blog:

http://abcand123learning.blogspot.com/

they are looking for rainbow themed ideas!!!

Three Peas In A Pod said...

This is so neat! My son just did did a lesson on rainbows at his preschool & he's been talking about them ever since! I think we'll make one this week!!