Saturday, March 14, 2009

Volcano Eruption

Today's weather was just about perfect. After a week or so of below-zero temps, upper 50s was wonderful! I don't know what the problem was with the paint we used on the poster board volcano, but it didn't fully dry until tonight, well over 24 hours after painting it. We took it outside to erupt right before dinner. Hubby was off work (finally -- I hate when he works Saturdays), so he assisted while I took pictures.

I filled the bottle with warm water, a few drops of liquid detergent, red food coloring, and some baking soda. We added vinegar, and this was our result:



I thought it was neat. However, T was thoroughly disappointed that it didn't put off ash, blow the top off the volcano, or make loud noises. Oh well. Ya can't win 'em all.

2 comments:

kw said...

A volcano is on our list for our Earth study unit and I like your idea of using poster board for the volcano. Much easier than paper mache!

Lisa said...

The volcano turned out great. Sorry the little guy was a little disappointed though....I agree with him, we need to figure out a safe way that will make these nifty volcanoes blow out ash!