Friday, March 13, 2009

Shamrocks and Volcanoes

T and I spent the morning doing St. Patrick's Day related crafts. He's been on a crafty kick lately, and I'm going with it. He so rarely let me do crafts with him, that this is a nice change of pace.

We made a rainbow paper chain to hang over the doorway between the kitchen and dining room:



We also melted crayon between wax paper, I cut them into shamrock shapes, and T hung them in the window. Forgive the awfulness of the window picture -- my camera batteries were nearly dead, so I snapped the picture as quickly as possible. You get the idea.



We spent this afternoon working on something different. T has been fascinated with volcanoes for a long time. He spent a fair amount of time on this site, creating his own volcanic eruptions.

We talked about the gasses building up pressure within a volcano, and to describe what I meant, we used the fail-proof balloon trick. It gave me a good excuse to indulge myself with a Pepsi (it's for the kids!), and once I drank it, we poured vinegar into the bottle, added baking soda into the balloon, attached it to the bottle, and watched what happened.



We then put the Pepsi bottle to another use -- creating a mock volcano out of poster board. The poster board we had was too small, so we improvised (here's hoping it works tomorrow!). T painted it today. We'll try to "erupt" it tomorrow night.



T is really enjoying all things volcano related. I think this could be a lot of fun, as long as I can keep brainstorming other activities!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow! You are such a great mom. The volcano is beautiful.