Monday, March 23, 2009

Weather Week

We had a gorgeous weekend and spent most of the time outdoors, which was wonderful! However, this morning brought with it wind, rain, and snow flurries, so we didn't get out much. In an attempt to get back on track after last week, I've planned out this week to be dedicated to learning about weather. On the agenda today -- clouds.

We spent time this morning online, looking through pictures of types of clouds. Later on, we read books about clouds that we found at the library.



We dipped cotton balls into water to demonstrate what happens when clouds cannot hold anymore water.



We used more cotton balls for our art project today.



I boiled water and let T hold his hands over it to feel the water evaporating because of the heat.



We also poured a little bit of water into a Ziploc bag, taped it to the window in the sun, and watched a mini version of the water cycle as it evaporated, condensed at the top, and eventually fell back down into the bottom of the bag.



I had been planning to do this cloud-in-a-bottle experiment, but I accidentally threw out the bottle I had set aside to use. Hopefully I'll get to it later on in the week.

4 comments:

Shady Lady said...

This looks like a fun cloud exploration! Thanks for posting the link to the cloud in a bottle. I'll have to get a bottle and try that one. Fun stuff! Thanks for sharing. You really have some great ideas!!

momandkiddo said...

Love, love the ziploc bag idea.

Ute said...

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's so much cooler to hear from other homeschoolers and their activities rather than having to read a book. :)

Your son is quite cute.

Shannon said...

Love these activities! My son has been asking me a lot of cloud questions lately.